Re: [opensuse-ppc] Re: [opensuse-arm] [ml-admin] Merging the architecture lists to opensuse-arch
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Richard (MQ) <osl2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If / when the AmigaOne X1000 arrives there will certainly be a new PPC
platform, but whether we can persuade the community to re-start the PPC
version of openSuSE Linux is another matter entirely. FWIW, the argument for
dropping it a few years back was that the usage had dwindled to
insignificant numbers (ISTR around 20 downloads / month) - I couldn't really
argue with that.

Actually, a lot of PPC work is done because of SLEx. If POWER is
still supported in SLEx 12, then it shouldn't be a big issue to
actually restart the PPC port. The bigger problem is getting it to
work on the vast types of machines: Apple, RS/6000, PRep, CHRP, etc.
It's almost as bad as the ARM ports because of the differences in
machine types.

My expectation is that there won't be another official PPC version at all,
though maybe we'll have enough momentum for an unofficial one - in which
case retention of this list will be vindicated. It all depends on whether
the machine is ever launched - time will tell.

We still have powerpc.opensuse.org, but I haven't been able to do any
testing. I've had to deal with a lot of personal issues over the last
year or two, and that's kept me from doing more. However, I'm hoping
that is finally ending soon.

Meantime a merged list seems to me to be the wrong way to go: keep lists
that are active or might reasonably be expected to become so and kill the
others, effectively merging into -project and -factory.

Is it really that big of a deal to leave it be and see what happens?
Not really sure why it's so necessary to consider something dead when
it may rise up again unexpectedly. Fedora has found renewed interest,
and Debian still supports PPC, so a lot of testing has been done
elsewhere that could probably be used here.