Re: [suse-ppc] Unable to install Beta3 or RC1 on G3 Beige
  • From: larrystotler@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:24:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Olaf Hering <olh@xxxxxxx>

There seems to be a bug in the atyfb driver, X should work fine. Havent
looked yet when this bug was introduced.

I have a matrox PCI card that has the apple DB15 monitor plug as well as the VGA DB15, but it didn't work when the g3 booted. If I add a regular PCI video card, will Linux initialize it first, or will it not see it? I've got a decade of dealing with Intel based systems, but I am kinda new to Macs....

There is the quik bootloader, it supports booting directly from
openfirmware. But its quite cumbersome to setup. You should grab the
Debian package. It supports only ext2/3 last time I looked.

Yeah, I found it and I'm going to try to set it up. I really don't have any need for the Mac OS. Having a PC backround, I'm used to seeing a lot more info when I am working with systems. The kernel messages for Linux mac aren't as verbose as what I am used to on the PC, and it's a lot of different stuff to work through.

Thanx again.
Look What The New Netscape.com Can Do!
Now you can preview dozens of stories and have the ones you select delivered to you without ever leaving the Top Home Page. And the new Tool Box gives you one click access to local Movie times, Maps, White Pages and more. See for yourself at http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/

< Previous Next >
List Navigation