Re: [suse-ppc] Package Managers for Suse PPC?
  • From: Vakvarju <vakvarju@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:14:34 +0100
Hi,

You are right. RPMs are quite distribution specific thus RH RPMs might
not work on SuSE and vice versa. The answer of the why is the different
locations of software components and the different compiling and
dependency resolving strategies.
I used to follow the below protocol while building my custom RPMs:
1. I unpack the src.rpm of the package in question (ex. the GNUstep) of
SuSE
2. I check the SPEC file to learn how they managed to build their binary
package
3. I download the most recent source tarball of the software.
4. I edit the spec file
5. Then I begin to build the binary and source rpms

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no package management system
which can handle all details automatically while building packages from
source tarballs.
Maybe the closest thingy is the port-tree of the BSDs (NetBSD as it
supports many HW architectures) and the portege system of Gentoo Linux.
I considered to install one of them but with my RS/6000 7025-F50 CHRP
server and the few time I had for this issue I had no luck. I installed
SuSE 7.3 PPC and I upgraded SLES 8 for iSeries and pSeries.

I think for you Yellowdog Linux could be the right choice. It is more
recent and more supported than the out-of-date 7.3 :-(
Or even better, the PPC version of Gentoo Linux.
Sorry to say this, but SuSE (Novell) supports no more the PPC
architecture (even if SLES versions have PPC builds also) for desktop
use.
Regards,

Vakvarju