Re: [opensuse-packaging] Orphaned files galore
Michael Matz schrieb:
On Mon, 9 Dec 2019, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/.rpm.lock
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Basenames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Conflictname
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Dirnames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Enhancename

That is quite expected. I would not expect to lose the actual databases.
`rpm -e rpm` should not remove (what was once) /var/lib/rpm,
`rpm -e mariadb` should not remove /var/lib/mysql, and
`rpm -e postfix` should not delete my mails.

I can see the case for removing rpm *and* the database
in order to e.g. strip down container images. Which situation do you
envision where you would want to remove the package but keep the db?

When you are installing an alternative by way of splitting deletion and new
install into two separate transactions (sometimes that is possible,
sometimes there is a Require on e.g. smtp_daemon or whatever that inhibits
it in the first step, but still.).

Referring to any package except rpm I guess. I meant rpm specifically.
There is no alternative implementation that would use the rpmdb AFAIK :-)

But there could be (and there are consumers of the rpmdb, e.g. the
libsolv-tools). So from fundamental principles I'd agree with Jan,
removal of foo should not remove foo's user-data, and there's no reason
why rpm should be special cased.

If it really was user data I'd probably agree. I don't think the analogy
to mysql works here though. The rpm database is basically a collection
of the rpm headers that belong to the content in /usr. A rollback of the
system will also roll back that information. We wouldn't do that with
actual user data. There is some relation of the data in the rpm db to eg
/usr/share/info/dir. But then that one is constructed from other files
in the system and could therefor just as well live in /var. Unlike the
rpm headers that are not installed anywhere else.

Also, what the special case is depends on the direction you are
coming from. If everything in /usr needs to be owned by packages,
not having the rpm db owned would be the special case :-)

At the end of the day it's still a bit academic. I still wonder what
the actual use case is. Also, rpm could in theory just generate a
header into the DB that owns the DB itself :-)

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel