Re: [opensuse-packaging] Orphaned files galore
Hi,

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/.rpm.lock
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Basenames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Conflictname
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Dirnames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Enhancename

That is quite expected. I would not expect to lose the actual databases.
`rpm -e rpm` should not remove (what was once) /var/lib/rpm,
`rpm -e mariadb` should not remove /var/lib/mysql, and
`rpm -e postfix` should not delete my mails.

I can see the case for removing rpm *and* the database
in order to e.g. strip down container images. Which situation do you
envision where you would want to remove the package but keep the db?

When you are installing an alternative by way of splitting deletion and new
install into two separate transactions (sometimes that is possible,
sometimes there is a Require on e.g. smtp_daemon or whatever that inhibits
it in the first step, but still.).

Referring to any package except rpm I guess. I meant rpm specifically.
There is no alternative implementation that would use the rpmdb AFAIK :-)

But there could be (and there are consumers of the rpmdb, e.g. the
libsolv-tools). So from fundamental principles I'd agree with Jan,
removal of foo should not remove foo's user-data, and there's no reason
why rpm should be special cased.

(Of course, it would be nice to optionally do remove data associated but
not owned by foo, as you say, but until we have that ...)

Ciao,
Michael.