Re: [opensuse-packaging] Orphaned files galore
Adam Majer schrieb:
I've written a small utility that checks for files, symlinks and
directories on your system that are installed in the system directories
but are not owned by any package.

https://github.com/AdamMajer/rpmorphan

To compile this, all you need is rpm-devel and gcc.

Running on my Leap 15.1 system, it found quite a number of symlinks and
directories and files that are not owned by any package. For example,

/usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config/images_sifr.zip

is installed by not owned by any libreoffice packages. There are also
number of files that install symlinks with update-alternatives but do
not actually own these symlinks. The correct method is to install these
as %ghost entries in the %files section.

Just recently I have been bitten by some stray font config file in
/usr that messed up a system (Emojis are nice but not as default
font...). It was really hard to spot in the mess left behind after years
over years of zypper dup from one release to the next. IMO we need to
pay more attention to making sure files are properly owned by packages.
Then if there's anything left we know those files do not belong to the
system.
That helps if we wanted to offer a factory reset or cleanup feature. Or
at least a way to visualize differences to how a clean installation
would look like.

cu
Ludwig

--