Re: [opensuse-packaging] Orphaned files galore
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 22:23:32 +0100
Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2019, 17:37:27 CET schrieb Adam Majer:
Hi all,

I've written a small utility that checks for files, symlinks and
directories on your system that are installed in the system directories
but are not owned by any package.

https://github.com/AdamMajer/rpmorphan

To compile this, all you need is rpm-devel and gcc.

Running on my Leap 15.1 system, it found quite a number of symlinks and
directories and files that are not owned by any package. For example,

/usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config/images_sifr.zip

is installed by not owned by any libreoffice packages. There are also
number of files that install symlinks with update-alternatives but do
not actually own these symlinks. The correct method is to install these
as %ghost entries in the %files section.

More interestingly, rpm itself doesn't own its own files either.

/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/.rpm.lock
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Basenames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Conflictname
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Dirnames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Enhancename

Overall, I've had 8592 orphaned files out of 231008 in my rpm database.
This means close to one in 25 files is not tracked!

Feedback welcome

I've used the predecessor occasionally:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/utilities/rpmorphan

Hopefully, this will have some impact on the distribution as well.

Cheers,
Pete