[opensuse-packaging] Orphaned files galore
Hi all,

I've written a small utility that checks for files, symlinks and
directories on your system that are installed in the system directories
but are not owned by any package.

https://github.com/AdamMajer/rpmorphan

To compile this, all you need is rpm-devel and gcc.

Running on my Leap 15.1 system, it found quite a number of symlinks and
directories and files that are not owned by any package. For example,

/usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config/images_sifr.zip

is installed by not owned by any libreoffice packages. There are also
number of files that install symlinks with update-alternatives but do
not actually own these symlinks. The correct method is to install these
as %ghost entries in the %files section.

More interestingly, rpm itself doesn't own its own files either.

/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/.rpm.lock
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Basenames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Conflictname
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Dirnames
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm/Enhancename

Overall, I've had 8592 orphaned files out of 231008 in my rpm database.
This means close to one in 25 files is not tracked!

Feedback welcome

- Adam

--
Adam Majer - amajer@xxxxxxx