Re: [opensuse-packaging] On how to improve Rust packaging experience for suse

On 19 Nov 2019, at 22:55, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 2019-11-19 13:02, Neal Gompa wrote:

The Rust compiler developers are smart guys, but they don't understand
that bootstrapping Rust is not supposed to be so hard.

So then, what does smart mean actually?

The issue with rust is not smart as in intellect, it's that rust is targeted at
specific use cases - which is standalone static applications (firefox, and
containers that are self contained) and not distros (shared lib, long lived
versions and toolchains.)

I think that throwing remarks that could be misinterpreted isn't really going
to help us here and we should look at what we can change that's within our
power instead.

Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs