Re: [opensuse-packaging] Failed build dependencies with ifnarch

Hello,

On May 24 09:56 Todd Rme wrote (excerpt):
So what should architecture should we use for a program that runs on
x86, x86_64, ppc64, and ppc64le without modification, but doesn't run
on aarch64? There is no mechanism as far as I know for a
"almostnoarch" package.

In this case, however, the package itself is completely noarch. One
of its testing dependencies, though, although it works on most
architectures, makes assumptions about how binary data is stored that
means it doesn't work on aarch64. But this package has no control
over that.

perhaps I misunderstand something special here but
"doesn't run on aarch64"
versus
"the package itself is completely noarch"
is a contradiction.

I think when a program does not work on all architectures
its package cannot be "noarch".

See my reasoning at
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/629
and the comments in
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Archiving:Backup:Rear:Snapshot/rear/rear.spec?expand=1

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah