Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packagers - please check your "Url:"s

On 3/22/19 12:05 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
As this discussion includes a number of SUSE employees on both sides
of the debate, I feel it appropriate to remind all involved that they
are expected to follow _SUSEs_ Open Source Policy, which clearly lays
out the companies expectations for it's employees on the topics of
Open Source contributions, Upstream First, Factory First, openSUSE,
etc.

I'm always following the open source policy and I always upstream everything
which means that almost all the bugs I have fixed in Debian packages are
also now fixed in openSUSE.

In fact, the reason why the Azure SDK updates were delayed is because I found
issues with the SDK and got in touch with upstream to resolve them upstream.

This is why I am particularly annoyed about this whole story. I'm trying to
make sure that changes are properly tested, necessary bugs reported upstream
or patches sent upstream and then someone else disturbs my maintenance work
by updating random, individual packages of the Azure stack.

But part of the open source policy also means working productively with
other people in the community especially those who may also want to
contribute to the packages you are working on.

I guess in this case whoever sent the update for 2 packages is mostly only interested in those two packages for whatever reason. So working
productively with the open source community is far more then just
"upstreaming everything" its explaining to people why you can't
accept there requests right now, and working with the d:l:p maintainers
to make sure you have fair time to explain that before they accept /
reject requests.

But certainly blocking all incoming SR's (or ignoring them or suggesting
that people shouldn't make them) is not working as a cooperative member
of an open source project.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30