Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packagers breaking repositories ...
  • From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 08:33:43 +0100
On mardi, 19 mars 2019 13.36:34 h CET Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Tuesday 2019-03-19 11:01, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
On the third hand, all the stuff I read on the opensuse lists about
tumbleweed
and its "quirks" is why I'm *not* using tumbleweed.

- nvidia and tumbleweed kernels

Maybe somebody will realize at some point that dkms is a better
option with a distro that changes kernels every week.

The rc phase of the kernel is on the order of 7 *weeks*. There is *that
much* time between the API break, and the source release of these new APIs
to the wider public -- and then probably *another* week until that all has
passed the openSUSE machinery involving OpenQA and so on.

From when I built fglrx, nvidia (during the 96.x to 346.x-ish era), vmware
and vbox modules, updating the source to new APIs was not hard. Certainly
did not take seven weeks.

Maybe somebody will realize that nvidia has a terrible kernel development
following procedure. Or, for the marketeers, "uncompetetive". Maybe if R&D
spent less time on trying to cheat the benchmarks.. but I digress.

Maybe there too much urban legend.
Nvidia works (especially the official rpm, thanks Stefan) in a reliable way.
There's people on ML you can heard almost each time, but they have a mixture
of bad practice (nvidia the hard way), and very old hardware (really old).

Thanks openSUSE, and TW I can life safely on the edge, and my hardware is
supported and working.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch