Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packagers breaking repositories ...
Mathias Homann schrieb:
Am Dienstag, 19. März 2019, 11:34:15 CET schrieb Simon Lees:
On 19/03/2019 20:58, Mathias Homann wrote:
Am 2019-03-19 10:47, schrieb Michal Kubecek:
On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 9:49 Richard Brown wrote:
You seem to be suggesting that Tumbleweed is somehow less supported or
reliable than fricking devel repositories

Not necessarily. There are people who want their system as a whole
stable (Leap style stable) but they need or want recent versions of
specific subset of packages.

For example, I'm running Leap 15.0 with recent git packages on my laptop
because I'm using some recent features for my workflow (e.g. git range-
diff). And I'm certainly not going to risk full Tumbleweed with all the
breakages and subtle work environment changes. If the bleeding edge git
package is broken, that's something I can live with; in the worst case,
I can always revert to "known good" version (locally stored). But for
the rest of the system, I want to minimize the risk of nasty surprises.

Michal Kubecek

My sentiments exactly. The fact that I *can* frig around with everything
and know how to do this shit does not mean that after work I have the
time and energy left to actually do it. My personal work/play machine
just has to work. Reliably. Which means that I prefer the linux version
of any given game over the windows version, because of what mickeysoft
did to the last couple of windows 10 updates... XD but that's a bit OT.

Well then you should stick to the standard repo's unless you want to
"play around" and have stuff occasionally break. Sometimes not having
the latest everything is the sacrifice you need to make to have
something you never have to play with.

there is that... but on the other hand, on the KDE bugtracker you get "use the
latest version, your issue is fixed by now" a lot...

Leap ships LTS versions of Plasma. The whole point of that is that
upstream can backport fixes to that version and you do not have to
use the latest developer version of KDE. Maybe not all developers
have that in mind though. If there's important bugs that should be
fixed in the KDE we have on Leap please just point that out in your
bug reports so the developers backport the fix to the LTS branch.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel