Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packagers breaking repositories ...

On 19/03/2019 20:58, Mathias Homann wrote:
Am 2019-03-19 10:47, schrieb Michal Kubecek:
On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 9:49 Richard Brown wrote:
You seem to be suggesting that Tumbleweed is somehow less supported or
reliable than fricking devel repositories

Not necessarily. There are people who want their system as a whole
stable (Leap style stable) but they need or want recent versions of
specific subset of packages.

For example, I'm running Leap 15.0 with recent git packages on my laptop
because I'm using some recent features for my workflow (e.g. git range-
diff). And I'm certainly not going to risk full Tumbleweed with all the
breakages and subtle work environment changes. If the bleeding edge git
package is broken, that's something I can live with; in the worst case,
I can always revert to "known good" version (locally stored). But for
the rest of the system, I want to minimize the risk of nasty surprises.

Michal Kubecek

My sentiments exactly. The fact that I *can* frig around with everything and know how to do this shit does not mean that after work I have the time and energy left to actually do it. My personal work/play machine just has to work. Reliably. Which means that I prefer the linux version of any given game over the windows version, because of what mickeysoft did to the last couple of windows 10 updates... XD but that's a bit OT.

Well then you should stick to the standard repo's unless you want to "play around" and have stuff occasionally break. Sometimes not having the latest everything is the sacrifice you need to make to have something you never have to play with.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30