Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packagers breaking repositories ...
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 10:47:43 +0100
On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 9:49 Richard Brown wrote:
You seem to be suggesting that Tumbleweed is somehow less supported or
reliable than fricking devel repositories

Not necessarily. There are people who want their system as a whole
stable (Leap style stable) but they need or want recent versions of
specific subset of packages.

For example, I'm running Leap 15.0 with recent git packages on my laptop
because I'm using some recent features for my workflow (e.g. git range-
diff). And I'm certainly not going to risk full Tumbleweed with all the
breakages and subtle work environment changes. If the bleeding edge git
package is broken, that's something I can live with; in the worst case,
I can always revert to "known good" version (locally stored). But for
the rest of the system, I want to minimize the risk of nasty surprises.

Michal Kubecek