Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packagers breaking repositories ...
Am 2019-03-19 09:49, schrieb Richard Brown:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 07:11, Mathias Homann
<Mathias.Homann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On the third hand, all the stuff I read on the opensuse lists about tumbleweed
and its "quirks" is why I'm *not* using tumbleweed.

- nvidia and tumbleweed kernels
- huge numbers of weird dependencies all of a sudden

to name the last two that would have rendered both my computers dead in the
water for me.

Personally I consider TUMBLEWEED to be the "try if this works" development
thing.

You seem to be suggesting that Tumbleweed is somehow less supported or
reliable than fricking devel repositories

I didn't say it was less supported. What I said is that I see a lot of "interesting" issues about tumbleweed, especially on the factory list, that make me think that I should not use tumbleweed on my home setup, since I have nvidia hardware and I want to be ableto actually use it.

[...]

Devel Projects, such as everything in the KDE: repo, are less tested,
less reviewed (including no legal review), and most certainly, without
any shadow of a doubt, provided on a "try if it works" basis.
There is no formal effort by the openSUSE Project to guarantee
anything in any OBS repo outside of those beginning with "openSUSE:"
is in an acceptable state.
That is why they are referred to on software.opensuse.org as
"Experimental packages". No one should have any expectation that
something marked as "experimental" will always work, nor always be
available.

https://de.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_Plasma_5 points users towards KDE:Frameworks5, and according to that SDB page the *unstable* plasma is in KDE:Unstable:*

To me that means that packagers should not break KDE:Frameworks5. KDE:Applications and KDE:Extras are a different matter, of course.

Tumbleweed on the other hand, as an official openSUSE: OBS project,
has layers of code review (at least 4 eyes/2 persons), additional
legal review, and levels of automated auditing and testing unrivalled
by any other rolling release out there.

While that might be true, there is (at least to my knowledge) no official NVIDIA rpm for Tumbleweed, which is my personal dealbreaker.

It is always provided on a "it should always work" basis.
It is not experimental.

It is not the problem of the project or the KDE packagers if you
refuse to accept this and instead use their development repositories
to install software in a less optimal arrangement than the one they
expend a great deal more effort on ensuring in openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Let me point it out again: I am *not* installing from KDE:Unstable:*.
I am installing KDE/Plasma from the officially suggested repositories as noted on the SDB page about Plasma5.

Sure, there is no problem to inform them when those repositories are
not functioning, but your tone, attitude, and expectations are way out
of line.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way.