Re: [opensuse-packaging] Something like BuildRecommends to increase test coverage?
On 3/11/19 2:51 PM, Adam Majer wrote:
On 3/11/19 9:44 AM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
As a packager, I'd love to just add the list of additional tools the
test may or may not use, and the build not failing if the package
is not available on that platform like:

   BuildRecommends: valgrind
or
   BuildSuggests: valgrind

Is there something automatic like this?

The argument against having something like this is build reproducability and
predictability. Sometimes a package can be available and sometimes it may
not. And this can trigger build problems in your
package under some situations. The best way to make sure that the package at
least builds and tests properly is to have one predictable build state.

Many, many years ago I would love to have this feature already for some
software. This is a nice feature for development, but not a nice feature for
deployment. In deployment, less variability is your
friend.

That's why the *-testsuite is a subpackage: the main package builds fine
with a certain set of tests/integrity, and the testsuite could pick whatever
is available: e.g. currently there's no valgrind for armv7l available because
"nothing provides glibc < 2.28.0". I guess this one will go away in a couple
of weeks. Meanwhile, I'd have to take out armv7l from the guards around
the BuildRequires:valgrind to get something tested at all, and I won't
be given a notice when it would be available again, so that I could take
it back in.

Well, I understand your point as well, but then: is there a way to automate
the maintenance of the guards for each utility package needed?
I mean currently it's just repetitive try&error to find the right combination.

Thanks & have a nice day,
Berny