Re: [opensuse-packaging] Something like BuildRecommends to increase test coverage?
On 3/11/19 9:44 AM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
As a packager, I'd love to just add the list of additional tools the
test may or may not use, and the build not failing if the package
is not available on that platform like:

BuildRecommends: valgrind
or
BuildSuggests: valgrind

Is there something automatic like this?

The argument against having something like this is build reproducability and predictability. Sometimes a package can be available and sometimes it may not. And this can trigger build problems in your package under some situations. The best way to make sure that the package at least builds and tests properly is to have one predictable build state.

Many, many years ago I would love to have this feature already for some software. This is a nice feature for development, but not a nice feature for deployment. In deployment, less variability is your friend.

- Adam