Re: [opensuse-packaging] macros for /opt/foo
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 18:04:46 -0400
On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 5:12 PM Michael Ströder <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/10/19 10:05 PM, Chris Punches wrote:
The RPMDB assures that not the filesystem paths. If you're using /opt
you should still consider using the proper paths. As a consultant I
often have this conversation with vendors providing software who don't
know better and it's practically an epidemic. You want people to use
the FHS to make good assumptions about where things are. I've heard all
manner of arguments for why they have to do it this way and have never
seen one be right.

Does a file conflict with OS-packaged libldap count
as sufficient argument?

Believe me. I'm not doing this for fun.

Nobody puts stuff in /opt for fun. Sadly, I do it more than I want to
as well, which is why I know how to do it...