Re: [opensuse-packaging] rpmlint(?): W: no-version-in-last-changelog
Am 28.12.18 um 15:59 schrieb Neal Gompa:
We didn't always do it in Red Hat/Fedora, yes. We actually picked up
the behavior from Mandrake, who started the practice and *also*
created rpmlint. In fact, the whole concept of marking each changelog
entry with the version-release started with Mandrake. They took it a
step further and also always included the VCS revision of the package
sources the package was built from as the first line in the changelog
entry. This practice was carried over into Mageia.

For example, generated RPM changelogs look like this in Mageia:

* Sun Feb 21 2016 RĂ©mi Verschelde <akien@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.0-0.dev.1.mga6
+ Revision: 975107
- imported package godot

(Source:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/godot/blob/93e6af9cdac55edd1cae52f165f7d462d70c608b/f/godot.spec#_392
)

In fact, the concept of a distribution tag in the package release also
came from Mandrake, as they used it to distinguish their packages from
Red Hat's whenever they forked packages or created their own. Today,
every distribution except openSUSE uses a distribution tag for various
reasons. I'm pretty sure that we started putting the version-release
in changelogs sometime late 2000 or early 2001, which I think
corresponds to when Red Hat started using rpmlint. The usage of a
DistTag in Fedora started sometime in 2006 with the introduction of
Koji (https://koji.build/ / https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/).

I don't mean to be rude about the ignorant thing, I meant that it
surprised me that someone from SUSE knew a bit about how Fedora
packaging worked. Most folks seemed to have little idea about how it's
done in Fedora.

OK, thanks a lot for explanation and I'm sorry for being rude.