Re: [opensuse-packaging] rpmlint rules for /var/run
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:59:12 -0500
On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 4:47 AM Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 10, Frederic Crozat wrote:

Le vendredi 07 décembre 2018 à 13:50 -0500, Todd Rme a écrit :
I am trying to get xrootd updated to work with systemd (as well as
various other improvements), but I am running into two rules in
rpmlint and I can't figure out how to make both checks pass.

The problem is that it is expecting a directory in /var/run, and if I
leave it off I get this warning:

xrootd-server.i586: W: tmpfile-not-in-filelist /var/run/xrootd
please add the specified file to your %files section as %ghost so
users can
easily query who created the file, it gets uninstalled on package
removal and
finally other rpmlint checks see it

However, if I add it like this:

%ghost %{_var}/run/%{name}

Or this:

%ghost %dir %{_var}/run/%{name}

I get the following error:

xrootd-server.x86_64: E: dir-or-file-in-var-run (Badness: 10000)
/var/run/xrootd
A file in the package is located in /var/run. It's not permitted for
packages
to install files in this directory.

How can I set things up to satisfy both rules?

First, /var/run is obsolete, you should use /run instead (/var/run is a
symlink to /run ).

To create the directory, you should have tmpfiles in your package to
create it at install time and for each reboot.

Everything should be explained in
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Systemd_packaging_guidelines
(Creating files and subdirectories in /var/run and /run section).

Except that rpmlint needs to get fixed to check /run, too.
%ghost in /run should also be forbidden like in /var/run.

In general, %ghost for tmpfiles on tmpfs doesn't make any sense
and only makes later a lot of trouble. This should be completly
forbidden. And robustness is here more important than the wish of
some people, to track every file with rpm -qf.

Thorsten

Then can we get rid of the rpmlint message saying %ghost is required
in /var/run?