Re: [opensuse-packaging] Splitting up binary packages for large SDKs
On 08/07/2018 05:21 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Since the SDK has a large number of submodules, I wasn't planning on creating
individual -devel packages anyway. The number of binary packages would have
just been too large.

npm-leftpad anyone? Ask upstream to not write a gazillion micromodules. ;-)

I think asking upstream would be a futile attempt :-(.

I currently use the default cmake setting in the SDK which is
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON,
so I'm not getting any static libraries.

Is there a way to have the %cmake macro build both variants? Although I don't
think we need both of them.

Static libs are not allowed by default.

Why would that be the case? The static libraries are supposed to be used
for the user to build static binaries, not for building any of the packages
in the distribution with static binaries.

The zlib package, for example, does include a static library package:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/devel:libraries:c_c++/zlib/zlib.spec?expand=1

See exceptions 4a/4b in the above policy for when also the -devel packages
need to be versioned (I'd hope it's not supported to install multiple
AWK-SDK version onto the same system).

Multiple versions don't seem supported. But installing the SDK for multiple
platforms.

There is just one platform as far as openSUSE is concerned.

Well, the SDK supports Android so it might be useful to include the Android
version
of the AWS SDK in the future as well depending on whether building AWS
applications
for Android is a popular feature.

Adrian