Re: [opensuse-packaging] Splitting up binary packages for large SDKs

On Tuesday 2018-08-07 17:11, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On 08/07/2018 04:56 PM, Michael Matz wrote:
In Debian, we usually put all shared library files into a lib$NAME$SOVER
package where $NAME is the library name and $SOVER it's SO version.
Development files such as headers, cmake files and static library
archives go into a lib$NAME-dev package. What's the policy for openSUSE?

Specifically for shared libraries:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Shared_library_packaging_policy
which also talks about -devel packages. Of relevance:
* There is no reason why a -devel package cannot provide development
files for multiple shared library packages.

Since the SDK has a large number of submodules, I wasn't planning on creating
individual -devel packages anyway. The number of binary packages would have
just been too large.

npm-leftpad anyone? Ask upstream to not write a gazillion micromodules. ;-)

I currently use the default cmake setting in the SDK which is
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON,
so I'm not getting any static libraries.

Is there a way to have the %cmake macro build both variants? Although I don't
think we need both of them.

Static libs are not allowed by default.

See exceptions 4a/4b in the above policy for when also the -devel packages
need to be versioned (I'd hope it's not supported to install multiple
AWK-SDK version onto the same system).

Multiple versions don't seem supported. But installing the SDK for multiple
platforms.

There is just one platform as far as openSUSE is concerned.