[opensuse-packaging] Splitting up binary packages for large SDKs
Hello!

I am currently working on the AWS SDK for C++ by Amazon, the package
is called "aws-sdk-cpp" [1]. After some fiddling and disabling the
testsuite for the time being due to an upstream bug [2], I am at
the point where I have to decide how to distribute the SDK files
among binary packages.

Since I haven't built any larger packages for openSUSE before, in
particular not any SDKs or library packages which include development
files such static libraries, cmake files and header files, I'm wondering
whether anyone can give me a heads-up what the common policy is.

In Debian, we usually put all shared library files into a lib$NAME$SOVER
package where $NAME is the library name and $SOVER it's SO version. Development
files such as headers, cmake files and static library archives go into
a lib$NAME-dev package. What's the policy for openSUSE?

Also, while the package built fine on my AMD EPYC machine (except for
the failing installation process due to the missing %files statements),
on OBS the package occasionally fails with out-of-memory errors or even
the compiler segfaulting. Is there any chance to schedule large packages
onto beefier build instances?

In case anyone wonders, the package is required within the Public Cloud Team.

Adrian

[1]
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:glaubitz:branches:Cloud:Tools/aws-sdk-cpp
[2] https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-cpp/issues/929