Re: [opensuse-packaging] Python package tries to download dependencies during build
On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 11:45 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 05/07/2018 11:24 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
Not really. If I spend several hours now to make a small dependency
package
perfect under every aspect of the packaging guidelines instead of
continuing
with the packages we actually need for the Public Cloud Team, my
colleagues
won't be particularly happy.

You in turn will shout at the review team doings it job by pointing out
things that are wrong when compared to the packaging guidelines -

I've never done that. I usually always make all the changes requested
by the review team.

Ok, in this case I apologize - you indeed have not done so; but I
clearly do recall discussions into this direction with other
maintainers

making neither you nor the review team happy - and as a direct
consequence your colleagues will also not be happy. What do you gain?

What do I gain when I invest hours in making a small Python package
(I'm not talking about the kernel or any toolchain package) when
this isn't my main task I am being paid for?

Well, if you are paid to get FOO into shape and FOO depends on BAR:
shoulnd't you discuss with your manager to get BAR into your line of
duties, as you obviously can't provide FOO without BAR?

Either you/your team/your manager
* acknowledge the importance or BAR (and maintain it)
* find a different team/maintainer for BAR
* Work towards FOO being usable without BAR

I don't think there are other options available.

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >