Re: [opensuse-packaging] Converting a package to singlespec: two questions

On 12/11/2017 11:00 AM, Sebastian wrote:
On 12/11/2017 07:46 PM, Lee Duncan wrote:
If it is the first: You don't need to singlespec it at all.
Even though this is end-user based I still don't see how i can avoid
singlespec, other than just having two different (conflicting) packages.
Why do you want to singlespec it then at all? I see no reason to do so.

Sebastian

It is not a matter of want, really. I was under the impression this had
to be done.

Certainly, python2 is going away, so I need to (and want to) support
python3.

But some users of this package still done have python3, so I'd like to
keep the python2 package around.

I'm now thinking I want to rename the existing package
"python2-targetcli-fb", name the new package "python3-targetcli-fb", and
create an aliases of "targetcli-fb" and "targetcli" for the new version.
That way, if somebody just does a "zypper in targetcli", they will get
the python 3 version. They can still get the python2 version, but under
the new name of "python2-targetcli-fb" only.

The only part I don't like about this is that I have two duplicate
packages to maintain. But the good news is that the maintainence work
for the python2 version will die out.

--
Lee Duncan
SUSE Labs