Re: [opensuse-packaging] Converting a package to singlespec: two questions

On 12/11/2017 01:52 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 12/11/2017 01:36 AM, Lee Duncan wrote:
1. The package is called "targetcli-fb". Since this does not follow the
"pyton-PACKAGENAME" convention, what should the python3 version of the
package be called? Perhaps something like targetcli-fb-python3? or
"python3-targetcli-fb"? I don't like either.

Please use the common python-$PACKAGE naming scheme, anything else would
just be confusing. Users expect Python packages in openSUSE to follow
the common naming scheme. If you use something else, your package will
be harder to find.

Yes, of course that makes sense for a new package, but this package is
already known by this name (targetcli-fb), as it replaces a
long-standing package called "targetcli", and it provides the
command-line program "targetcli". :)

It seems like I could make an alias for the package of python2-NAME (and
python3-NAME), but changing the name seems a bit disruptive.

I also don't know whether python-rpm-macros will actually work with
packages not following the python-/python3- naming scheme.

Adrian

Well, I may have to break this package into a variant and non-variant
part, in which case I may be free to rename as I see fit.

--
Lee Duncan
SUSE Labs