[opensuse-packaging] Re: Python packages naming rules
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 12:50:16 -0400
On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 12:23 PM, jan matejek <jmatejek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 24.8.2017 18:03, Todd Rme wrote:

I would be strongly against having "python3-foo" obsolete/provide
"python-foo", that would break both packages and users own scripts.

I don't see how that breaks user scripts?
Do we expect someone to rely on package names in a way that would also touch
custom scripts?

They will break because their python2 dependencies will automagically
be deleted and replaced by python3 versions.

As for breaking packages, that is true. OTOH, I will be doing a conversion
run on Factory to replace
all "python-foo" with a versioned require anyway.
(I intend to first replace with "python3-foo", see what breaks, then revert
to "python2-foo" where
python3 is not supported)

I admit that i'm biased towards breaking things ;) Mainly for the sake of
discovering *what exactly*
breaks and if we actually need to have it.

OTOH, maybe some rpmlint and submission checks are sufficient for this
purpose and we can keep old
packages untouched.

A lot of packages are unsupported upstream. They will never support
python3, and having to go through and modernize all those packages
seems like a huge amount of work for little or no real benefit to
anyone. I would rather just let them bitrot until they break and
remove them then.