Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Python packages naming rules
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 10:52:43 -0400
On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:23 AM, Sebastian <sebix@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok, so this section in the wiki:
All Python module packages, whether pure Python or C-based, should be
called python-modulename. modulename should be the name of this module
on the Python Package Index, the official third-party software
repository for the Python programming language.
could be replace with, for example:
All Python module packages, whether pure Python or C-based, should be
called python-modulename. modulename must be the name of the package in
the package's setup.py, which is equal to the filename of the source
tarball. If this differs from the name on the Python Package Index, the
official third-party software repository for the Python programming
language, the packgage should provide this name too.

And does the Packaging guidelines change process apply here?
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines_change_process IMO
it does.

Sebastian

There is another naming issue I wanted to bring up. More and more
packages are dropping support for python2. However, other packages
that support both python2 and python3 still depend on these packages.
So dropping the python2 version entirely is not a good option.

So we need some way to handle the naming of these packages. The
simplest way would be to stick with what we did in the past, using
"python-foo" and "python3-foo". But this prevents us from using the
single-spec macros and makes it impossible to support other python
implementations down the road.

So my suggestion is to make the python3 package use the "python-foo"
name, using singlespec macros with python2 disabled. The python2
package should be named "python2-foo", should not use singlespec
macros, and should provide "python-foo = %{version}".

Does this sound reasonable to everyone?