Re: [opensuse-packaging] no more nobody user on OBS?
On Tue, May 23, Stephan Kulow wrote:

Am 23.05.2017 um 17:35 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 16:47 +0200, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

seems that Tumbleweed and Factory has no more user "nobody" defined
in /etc/passwd. Is this wanted?

cu,
Rudi

That is indeed wanted - the list of users has constantly been growing
and for many users/groups, it is/was not clear what requires them.

So Thorsten worked on a way to change this - and packages nowadays have
to specify if their content wants a specific user/group to be present.

See also the packaging guidelines at
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines#Users_and_Groups

But 'nobody'? I don't see it as a system user - mere the lack of user.

The patterns install the user nobody.
Applications, which require the user nobody, have require. At least as far
as I could identify them. Some have the fact, that they need the user nobody,
very well hidden.

So after installation, there should always be a user nobody. If not, that's a
bug
we need to analyze and fix.
Packages requiring the user nobody should always have a "Requires: user(nobody)"
in the spec file.
If you need it for building packages, but not runtime, you should add
"BuildRequires: user(nobody)".

And we will remove the user "root" from aaa_base as next, too.
But the handling will be different, we can clearly not use systemd-sysusers for
that. I have some ideas, but no real code yet.

Thorsten