Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Update rpm configuration to fix issues and rationalize configuration
On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 17:57 +0200, Michael Matz wrote:
As I said, modules (i.e. DSOs that are used with dlopen, not loaded
by
ld.so) would be placed into (subdirs of) libexec (conceptually (to
me)
they are more similar to helper executables than shared libraries;
they
just happen to be implemented via shared library mechanisms)

Let's take a very practical example, showing that this can't work:

e.g libproxy (the library) and any of it's modules e.g. libproxy-
config-

The lib is obviously in /usr/lib64/libproxy.so.1
the config module to it (arch dependent, loaded dynamically) in
/usr/lib64/libproxy-%{version}/modules/config-gnome3.so

libproxy being used by quite some low-level things is also provided as
biarch, so we have libproxy1-32bit (/usr/lib/libproxy.so.1)

the 23bit variant on a 64bit system obviously needs to find it's
modules in a path that are not equal to the 64bit variant.

Putting that stuff into libexec sounds totally weird and would just
require to split stuff up even weirder...

=> modules loaded by a lib belong in my opinion to %{_libdir}/%{name}

Cheers,
Dominique