Re: [opensuse-packaging] no more nobody user on OBS?
On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 17:46 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 23.05.2017 um 17:35 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 16:47 +0200, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

seems that Tumbleweed and Factory has no more user "nobody"
defined
in /etc/passwd. Is this wanted?

cu,
Rudi

That is indeed wanted - the list of users has constantly been
growing
and for many users/groups, it is/was not clear what requires them.

So Thorsten worked on a way to change this - and packages nowadays
have
to specify if their content wants a specific user/group to be
present.

See also the packaging guidelines at
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines#Users_and_Gro
ups

But 'nobody'? I don't see it as a system user - mere the lack of
user.

Greetings, Stephan

historically, everything was thrown at 'nobody' for security reasons -
until somebody realized that entire systems running as nobody is not
actually secure, as services could start interacting.

'nobody' has no special meaning in any way. I don't see why it should
be treated specially (unlike root/uid=0);. It's still right at your
disposal if you have a package relying on it (e.g. NFS using it as
fallback for 'anonymous/unknown') - you just need to specify it.

Cheers
Dominique