Re: [opensuse-packaging] Intel MKL packaging
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 11:15:01 -0400
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Xing <stecue@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/07/2017 03:22 PM, auxsvr wrote:

Hi,

There are several options to licence Intel MKL (free or community licence)
, which makes including it in the OBS easier. If this is not allowed, what
is the best way to package packages depending on it, e.g. numpy or pytorch?
The current numpy/scipy requires openblas. But I think it might be better to
compile numpy/scipy against the standard "unoptimized" lapack/blas and the
uses can switch to other optimized lapack/blas such as openblas/mkl at
runtime using "update-alternatives"?

Sincerely yours
Xing

We can't support MKL using update-alternatives because it isn't
open-source. The rules of OBS forbid us from distributing it. So there
are really only two choices, an unoptimized version using lapack and
an optimized version using openblas. I don't see an advantage to
shipping the unoptimized version.