Re: [opensuse-packaging] Basic question on ruby packaging and build ruby-dependent packages (chef)

On 04/26/2017 12:03 PM, Johannes Kastl wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently playing with chef, and I found that packages for chef
12 are only built for Tumbleweed. This seems to be due to the required
ruby version being too old on Leap and SLE.

So to get a newer chef I would have to get a newer ruby on these
machines. d:l:r has newer ruby packages, so my question of principle is:

Can one built a newer ruby version for, say, SLES11 (or simply linkpac
the one in d:l:r) and use this version during building chef12 for
SLES11? I guess there would be some prjconf voodoo necessary to get it
building, but will these packages be working or is this a general no-go?

I found a small note on "multiple ruby version" on the openSUSE ruby
packaging page advising to use rvm or docker etc., thus I am asking.

I see ruby builds successfully for sle_11_sp4 on d:l:r. I would just add that path in your project meta, something like:

<repository name="SLE_11_SP4">
<path project="devel:languages:ruby" repository="SLE_11_SP4"/>
<arch>x86_64</arch>
<arch>i586</arch>
</repository>

I don' t know why we don't already have it here:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/meta/devel:languages:ruby:extensions

I guess there must be a reason but I don't know which one it is, sorry.