Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Update rpm configuration to fix issues and rationalize configuration

On Wednesday 2017-04-26 14:05, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

There used to be more before FHS blatantly ignored
the usage of it for many years. Now that it is recognized by FHS, the

Do we know why it was not part of FHS in the first place?

It feels like I have seen it in FHS before (like, 2.2ish), but all the historic
documents still discoverable
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/fhs/ (2.0 and earlier)
socs.acadiau.ca/~jdiamond/Acadia-Linux-template-tutorial/resources/fhs-2.1.pdf
http://pathname.com/fhs/ (2.2 and 2.3)

turn out not to mention it. However, the Fedora 14, RHEL 3 and RHEL 6
documentation all make it look like it was part of FHS. Maybe that is where I
picked up…

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/s1-filesystem-fhs.html

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/3/html/Reference_Guide/s1-filesystem-fhs.html

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/ch-filesystem.html

The libexec thing appears to be inherited from BSD, as it is not
documented for Solaris. Given Linux always had a tendency to favor sysv
over bsd interfaces, maybe that's why it never got into FHS until 3.0.
Of course that's all just conjecture :)