Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Update rpm configuration to fix issues and rationalize configuration
Michael Matz schrieb:
Hi,

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

I'd personally like this to happen, yeah. It's in line with the
original intent of libexec and lib, and that the FHS didn't recognize
it was a long standing bug (IMHO, it certainly was a long-standing
annoyance :) ).

What's wrong with /usr/lib/name/?

Everything. lib shall not contain executables. lib shall not contain
subdirectories. lib shall contain only libraries. lib shall contain
_nothing_ on lib64 platforms.

A pretty radical demand. I guess you have technical insight that
makes you say that? Even the dynamic linker may read libraries from
subdirectories. Also, what about multilib approaches?

IMO /usr/libexec is redundant.

20 years of linux distros doing it wrong by overriding perfectly fine
autoconf defaults (caused by the FHS not grasping the concept) makes you
think so.

Perfectly fine defaults like /usr/com? :-) Fedora seems to be rather
lonely in the Linux world by using libexec.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel