Re: [opensuse-packaging] Non-blocking %check
On Thursday 20 April 2017, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 04/20/2017 04:18 PM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
No, you don't see *the* results. You can see *some* results of
different binaries which were built using a different build script
(spec file), different BuildRequires and probably on a different
build host.

The additional BuildRequires for the coreutils-testsuite are only
used for %check, but don't lead to a different build result:

I believe you that this is true. But OBS is designed to "not believe" us
human maintainers. Normally it rebuilds indomitably whenever a
dependency changes. The OBS design is even somehow obsessed about
reproducible builds. But why not in this important case where we want
to check *the* *built* binaries?

%if "%{name}" == "coreutils-testsuite"
BuildRequires: acl
BuildRequires: gdb

Just an example. What if one day gdb would bring us another
whatever-devel package and ./configure would be happy to use it?

BuildRequires: perl-Expect
BuildRequires: python-pyinotify
BuildRequires: strace
BuildRequires: timezone
%ifarch %ix86 x86_64 ppc ppc64 s390x armv7l armv7hl
BuildRequires: valgrind
%endif
%endif

Couldn't we just remove that ifdef above and tell OBS to not trigger
coreutils rebuild if these packages changes?

I mean I find it really too strange nowadays. For util-linux I was not
even allowed to install "procps" anymore. We optimzed away the
simple "ps" command which is an absolute basic POSIX requirement!

All the other packages - which are used for building - are identical.

There might be still some risk, but I've never seen any fallout from
this (which should be theoretically be 50% of such cases, i.e., where
the binaries in coreutils are good but those in the testsuite are
not).

I have also never seen any fallout for many other cases. I would say the
most rebuilds are not nessesary. Nethertheless we do all theoretically
needed rebuilds to be on the safe side. Just the "unimportant" testing
has been disabled to make things faster ...

cu,
Rudi