Re: [opensuse-packaging] Non-blocking %check
On 04/20/2017 01:30 PM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
This is a nice idea but it has a few drawbacks:
1.A bad coreutils-testsuite does not seem to prevent automatically
that the coreutils package would be released to the users.

there is still the package maintainer who is repsonsible for forwarding
packages ... so I don't see this danger.

2.coreutils-testsuite is not testing the *same* binaries which we
install finally in the distro. Bugs or inconsistencies in OSB or
rpm could cause that "coreutils" builds broken binaries
but "coreutils-testsuite" looks ok.

That's a valid point though ...

What I would really like is that project's like coreutils would have
a "make check*" target which runs tests against the installed
coreutils.

... it has been like that for quite a while now. I don't know what
was the motivation behind the split, but I can imagine that this speeded
up the build cycles on OBS dramatically.

Thus said, I'm not against removing 'coreutils-testsuite'. Maybe it'd
be an improvement if only the smaller (faster) 'make check' is run for
the coreutils package while it would run the slower 'make check-very-expensive'
tests in the coreutils-testsuite case.

Have a nice day,
Berny