Re: [opensuse-packaging] A new home for python3 packages
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 10:45:13 -0400
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Luigi Baldoni <aloisio@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I've noticed that some python3 packages I need are, in fact, python3-only
and that some other cannot be unified at the moment, if ever.

Also with the expectation of a mass-conversion d:l:p3 has been a tad
neglected
lately, so I was wondering if the packages above could be rehomed to d:l:p.

Or perhaps it's too early?

Regards

In my opinion, this would be the last step in the conversion process.
Once all the packages we want as singlespec are converted to
singlespec, any that remain can be moved over to d:l:p and d:l:p3 can
be removed. If I recall correctly the consensus was that ultimately
d:l:p3 is going to be removed entirely.

That being said, I think we will ultimately want even most Python
3-only packages converted to singlespec so they can support other
python implementations like pypy3 in the future. Also, singlespec
packages will make it easier to do a python4 rename, which will
probably be needed in 3 or 4 years from now.