Re: [opensuse-packaging] python singlespec: how to convert your package
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 08:38:21 -0500
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Thomas Bechtold <tbechtold@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-02-28 at 14:23 +0100, jan matejek wrote:
On 28.2.2017 12:31, Thomas Bechtold wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2017-02-17 at 18:31 +0100, jan matejek wrote:
7. If you are using update-alternatives, remove them.
Instead mark the executable as %python3_only:
%python3_only %{_bindir}/yourbinary
In most cases, we only need one version of the executable. If the
purpose of the tool is, e.g., reading EXIF metadata, we don't
care if
python 2 or 3 reads them. (And the library files are still
installed
for
both.)

Why? What if I only want the py2 version (including only the py2
dependencies)? Having the "binary" only shipped in the py3 package
means that I need all python3 packages installed.

Why would you want "only the py2 version?"

There is a product called SUSE OpenStack Cloud and that uses only
python2 . And we don't want to add (and maintain) all the python3
versions for a huge dependency list just because some binaries need the
py3 version.

As far as I knew, OpenStack upstream is mostly done on Python 3
porting. So why not just move everything over?