Re: [opensuse-packaging] python singlespec: how to convert your package
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 00:08:14 -0500
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM, jan matejek <jmatejek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear packagers,

this is an overview of how singlespec works and how to use it for your
package. First, some key concepts:

* It will allow you to build Python 2 and Python 3 (and PyPy 3 in the
future) package from a single spec file, with very little manual effort.
This means that if you're maintaining a separate python3-something in
d:l:py3, you can now switch over to the common python-something in d:l:py.

* It is designed to work on specs called "python-something". There is
some support for "python2-something" and "python3-something", but it is
mostly untested.
If your spec file name doesn't start with "python", don't even try.
(Yet.)

* (if you're building for Factory,) all your dependencies must be
converted first.
That's because the macros will BuildRequire "python2-things", which only
exist for packages that are already converted.
The devel:languages:python:singlespec already has basic packages, and
not all of them will be in d:l:py immediately, so if you want to play
now, build against this project. I'll also be accepting SRs into it.

I have 13 python- packages not in d:l:p. Should I SR a copy to singlespec?

I also have a bunch of non-python packages that have python-
sub-packages for python bindings. Should I just ensure manually that
they build python2- and python3- sub-packages?

I'm the only consumer of these python binding sub-packages. Should I
just drop python- versions of the sub-packages?

Thanks
Greg