Re: [opensuse-packaging] not restarting the docker service on running zypper update?

On 01/31/2017 06:56 PM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Mon, 2017-01-30 at 12:09 +0100, Ralf Lang wrote:
The 'rule' is basically: if the service can be restarted without
impacting the update session, it should be done. Known exceptions
so
far are:
* PackageKit: users updating with any PK-related tool would result
in
an interrupted system update - hence PK must not be restarted
* xdm: a restart of the display-manager terminates running X-
sessions
of a user. This clearly impacts the running update process if not
done
in a screen/tmux session (or on a text console)
* dbus-1: just seen last week: restarting dbus makes pretty much
all
running dbus-sessions disapear. with X running on systemd-logind
nowadays, this is a bad idea.

Running live updates on virtualisation hosts (xen, kvm, docker)
without
clever cherrypicking can potentially give you a lot more issues,
especially if you cannot simply reboot the host on short notice.

That shouldn't be an issue with docker on laptops - what could
possibly
run there? - but with servers acting as docker hosts, you should
carefully select your live updates and postpone everything else until
you can failover your services to another host (or switch them off
for a
while)

Sorry, but on such a business critical system I expect the admin to
have disabled automatic restarting of all services in /etc/sysconfig
anyway.

Cheers,
Dominiqe

I'm just a messenger, I don't disagree here, but what we expect doesn't
seem to always happen.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30