Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: moving from separate users to user monitoring for everything
Hello,

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2017, 09:18:16 CET schrieb Ludwig Nussel:
Christian Boltz wrote:

IIRC there was a discussion about a username policy for packages
some
years ago, and one of the ideas was to enforce that (new) system
users and groups should always start with an underscore, for
example "_monitoring". However, the user list in rpmlint looks like
this policy was never honored, and I'm not even sure if it left the
proposal stage.
It never left proposal state. It needs someone to actively push it
forward. Current version is
https://github.com/LinuxStandardBase/lsb/pull/21

That looks like a different topic. I was thinking about usernames, but
this pull request is mostly about the UID. (As a side note, the example
users there follow the "_something" scheme.)

A not fully discussed nor solved problem is whether and how to
migrate existing system users.

I'd say: don't. You'd need to scan the whole filesystem to chown existing
files and directories, and if the users already exist, they already have
a valid UID ;-) so I see no point in chaning it.

For newly created users, useradd should indeed use the proposed UIDs.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
if THIS is the way the project is heading, I see a big sign of doom
at the end of the tunnel...