Re: [opensuse-packaging] how to avoid SUSE-Backports-policy-SLE-conflict
[excuse the late reply - catching up after returning from holidays]

Hi Olaf,

On Tue, 2017-01-03 at 13:40 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
On Tue, Jan 03, Marcus Meissner wrote:

Olaf, just open a bug describing the change you do in build-compare and
submit an updated build-compare for SLE12.

In case of build-compare just _link to openSUSE:Factory/build-compare.
It is always safe to use the latest version of that package.
If not, give me a call.

I believe this has been worked out with the maintenance team in the meantime?

But it turned out the whole check is flawed because its not easy to use
the Backports project as a base for other projects.

I was hoping for a repo stack like this:
  myprj
 openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12-SP2
SUSE:SLE-12-SP2:Update

If myprj needs 'X-devel' its not possible to rebuild X in myprj because
the checks inherited from Backports cause a build failure, even if X is
_linked from SUSE:SLE-12-SP2:GA/X (or wherever X was initially
provided).

So either all the missing devel packages get published, or Backports
rebuilds all of the packages with missing devel packages, or each myprj
has to continue to duplicate these packages.

In the meantime I will stop using the Backports project as base.

You are right about the missing -devel package, and that is something we
need to look into fixing.

We do want you and others to be able to use Backports as a base wherever
possible. It might not work perfectly in all cases, but we are
interested in fixing issues where we can.

A new product in Bugzilla has been created and if you think something is
broken or are in general having issues using the Backports project you
can open a bug against the "openSUSE Backports" product in
bugzilla.opensuse.org and the team will take a look.

(the missing glew-devel package is now being looked into)

Thanks and happy packaging!

-Scott
< Previous Next >