Re: [opensuse-packaging] sync of tumbleweed repos with factory project
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:45:38 +0000
On 17 January 2017 at 09:29, Jordi Massaguer Pla <jmassaguerpla@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right m.l. so if not, please advice me where to
send this question.

I am having some trouble with an image that we are creating in obs that has
openSUSE:Factory as a repo. The problem happens when we try to, when booting
the image on libvirtd, install a package that requires libsystemd-devel,
because in the image we have version 232 (which comes from the obs repo),
but in the public repo we have version 228, so zypper "complains" and
"advices" to do a downgrade.

Are other people having this same kind of problem?

Is this somehow expected?

How long should it take for a package to be in the tumbleweed repo?

Should I build my image in a different way?

thanks

public repo: http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/
the image:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization:containers:images:KVM:Factory/base_factory_kvm

Other people shouldn't be having this problem, because openSUSE
"Factory" should not be used by humans. The use of Factory as a viable
consumable option for human beings ceased in November 2014 with the
'merger' of Factory and Tumbleweed

Now, in general terms, Factory is a process through which we build,
test and then declare new Tumbleweed snapshots

In more practical terms, Factory is where you submit stuff in OBS
before it comes out the otherside as Tumbleweed.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Factory_development_model

And in very OBS specific terms

openSUSE:Factory "standard" is a project containing all of the
packages currently accepted for Tumbleweed, even before they're tested
openSUSE:Factory "snapshot" is a project containing all of the
packages currently RELEASED as Tumbleweed - this is aliased as
openSUSE:Tumbleweed

The time to sync between 'standard' and 'snapshot' is the time it
takes to test and fix any issues found in testing for a new snapshot -
it can be surprisingly short, or very long..depends on what's going on

You are currently building against Factory 'standard', as you can see
here:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/meta/Virtualization:containers:images:KVM:Factory

If you want to have an image that is always usable, you should build
it against openSUSE:Factory 'snapshot' aka openSUSE:Tumbleweed

Else, you will have issues like this, with you will have to find your
own transient solutions for. AFAIK there is no common solution for
this issue, the whole purpose of building against Factory 'standard'
is for projects or people who WANT to build ahead of wherever
Tumbleweed is today, in order to find issues 'ahead of the game' - in
which case they are expected to have solutions for whatever issues
they find being that far ahead of everything :)