Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: moving from separate users to user monitoring for everything
Christian Boltz wrote:
Am Montag, 16. Januar 2017, 12:03:33 CET schrieb Lars Vogdt:

According to my latest experience with reviews, a 3 character
user/group name is considered too short => mon will not get accepted.

The reason behind this is probably to avoid collisions with "real" user
accounts.

IIRC there was a discussion about a username policy for packages some
years ago, and one of the ideas was to enforce that (new) system users
and groups should always start with an underscore, for example
"_monitoring". However, the user list in rpmlint looks like this policy
was never honored, and I'm not even sure if it left the proposal stage.

It never left proposal state. It needs someone to actively push it
forward. Current version is
https://github.com/LinuxStandardBase/lsb/pull/21

I don't expect much from LSB side. So we'd have to implement this
on our own.

A not fully discussed nor solved problem is whether and how to
migrate existing system users.

cu
Ludwig

--