Re: [opensuse-packaging] python single-spec progress, questions
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 10:42:49 -0400
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have numerous packages (20?) I maintain that are c libraries at
their core, but have python binding sub-packages. I'm slowly making
them have both python- and python3- sub-packages.

They currently live in security:forensics (and factory).

Will they be able to leverage the proposed new macros? Or do they
have to be moved to d:l:py?

That is one of the questions we are trying to answer. Ideally I would
prefer the macros would apply to all of OSC, and Jan has said this as
well, but AFAIK we haven't had anyone with any authority on the matter
weigh in on the issue.

Is it current policy they should be there already?

I do not think so. From what I have seen non-python packages that
have Python bindings follow the same rules as any other non-python
package: they are only there (or at least should only be there) to
allow python packages for older distros to build. The fact that they
happen to provide python bindings is irrelevant.

I also have 4 or 5 dual python app / python library packages
(python-dfVFS, etc.) and one pure python app (python-plaso).

My preference is to leave all of the above in security:forensics.

python-plaso still provides usable python modules, and according to
the documentation these modules are intended for direct use [1], so I
would say it is also a dual python app / library.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would think they should stay
where they are, but you could (but don't need to) have them linked in
d:l:p as long as they don't have any dependency issues and you think
they might be interesting to people outside of your project. From my
perspective, something like plaso that is used to extract file
information can be useful in a wide variety of situations besides
forensics (such as sorting directories or searching), so I would
recommend linking it. But the decision is up to you, I am not aware
of any policy requiring that all python packages always have to live
in d:l:p.

[1] https://github.com/log2timeline/plaso/wiki/Users-Guide#the-tools