[opensuse-packaging] Re: Packaging python wheels
On 19.10.2016 02:14, Todd Rme wrote:
So for packages that don't come with their own build script, and whose
wheels lack any compiled code, I think it should be allowed to use the
wheel for packaging our rpms.

I'm OK with using wheels in place of source tarball, in these cases as
you describe.

Somewhat ambivalent about just dropping the wheel into site-packages and
leaving it at that. Fedora allows using wheels, in a way [1], but they
unpack them in the %install section (via a patch to pip [2][3] that we
don't have but could conceivably adopt). I think we should do the same
thing, as opposed to simply installing the wheel, but i don't really
have a good reason, just a gut feeling.

m.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PythonWheels
[2] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1351