Re: [opensuse-packaging] reproducible builds
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:27:42 +0100
Richard Biener wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2015, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
[...]
IOW our process and infrastructure guarantees that our packages can
reproducibly be built from source. Everyone can reproduce that by
firing up their own build service and linking to OBS. In that sense
_our build process is reproducible_ and has always been. The terrifying
news here is that other distributions still have to do homework to
even get there.

Well, I don't see how you can "easily" reproduce a build of an
"old" version of a package without re-bootstrapping the whole
old state of the repository to build against. I understand that
we eventually have enough information in the package to actually
re-create that repository "soruce" state and we keep old sources
around but not binaries.

Depends on whether one wants to reproduce some Tumbleweed package
from a random point in the past or one from a released distribution.
For the latter we do keep binaries of released maintenance updates.
Nevertheless it should be possible to reproduce binaries in any
case, even though it might require some time and computing power.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel