Re: [opensuse-packaging] Leap, %bcond_with and python?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 15:04:49 -0500
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Note that with:

%bcond_with protobuf_python

no python binding subpackage is built.

bcond_with => conditionally build WITH support - condition being:
specified using --with on the command line (or prj conf overrides)

While with:

%bcond_without protobuf_python

bcond_without ==> conditionally build WITHOUT support - condition, as
above.

As they are nicely if'ed, only one should be ever used to declare the
default behaviou

Is this a specific double negative logic implementation in
protobuf.spec, or is bcond always used with a double negative type
logic.

bcond_* is generally misunderstood. *_with does not mean DEFAULT WITH,
but on CONDITIONALLY_WITH (as said: conditions can come from CLI, see
osc build --with/--without) or could be overruled by prjconf in OBS
directly)

I think I got it:

bcond_with rob_bank

means there is no way I'm going to rob a bank unless someone is
pointing a gun at my head.

I definitely agree with messy. I'd go as far as saying it is one of
the most obtuse syntax'es I have seen. I guess it makes sense to
someone.

Greg